Samut Songkhram’s Coconut Farm & Maeklong Railway Market Tour with Guide NuchSamut Songkhram
6.45am – 1.30pm
2-6 (join-in tour)
- Vegetarian option available
- Booking must be made 2 days in advance
This half-day excursion from Bangkok with Tour Guide Nuch introduces you to intriguing ways of lives of sea fishermen and coconut farmers in Samut Songkhram. Located only 60 kilometers from Bangkok, the coastal province of Samut Songkhram feels completely different from Bangkok’s metropolis. Despite the proximity to Bangkok, it is upcountry, green, offers fresh air, and is a major agricultural area. Samut Songkhram villagers live on catching seafood, producing home-grown coconut products, sea salt, shrimp paste, and grow various kinds of delicious tropical Thai fruits like pomelos, lychees, mangos, jackfruits, and so on. Needless to say, these friendly villagers lead slow-pacing lifestyles, in peaceful environment with zero stress.
We will start the day with visiting Maeklong Market featuring an abundance of fresh seafood, local fruits and vegetables. Here, we will do a small grocery shopping, buying ingredients to make lunch later on. You will learn so much about Thai herbs and vegetables, interact with friendly vendors, and get to taste a variety of typical Thai breakfast. Also at this very market, you will experience an amazing incident. Maeklong Market sits on an active train track. When a train comes, vendors will roll their awnings and stalls back, let the train pass and resume their positions as if there has never been a train. The moment an announcement for a passing train is made to the moment the vendors resume their positions counts less than 5 minutes. We need to find a spot to stand and get ourselves ready for pictures.
After the market, we continue to a coconut farm. Here, there is a workshop where villagers make coconut palm sugar out of freshly collected sap. You will see the process of making coconut sugar and can buy some home. Then we take a fun row boat ride to a villager’s home. Visiting and lunching a local family, you will learn so much more about Thai culture and traditions. You will also help your host prepare lunch and learn their family recipes. Your hosts speak little English but Tour Guide Nuch will translate for you. By visiting local people’s home, you get an experience far more meaningful compared to average tourists. This experience will make your trip to Thailand one of the most memorable times.
About Tour Guide Nuch
Tour Guide Nuch is a professional food tour guide who has worked with Bangkok Food Tours for several years. She’s informative, funny, and will cater to your needs to make your holiday as smooth and as fun as possible.
- Experience local Thai ways of life at a wet market, the best place to learn about Thai ways of life, Thai herbs and spices, and other ingredients that go into Thai kitchen. Maeklong Market is also the biggest fresh seafood market in the area.
- See the moment a train passes through the Maeklong Market.
- Taste a variety of delicious local dishes, from typical Thai breakfast sold buy street vendors to a home-cook meal.
- Visit a coconut farm and see the process of making coconut sugar, which is a major product of Samut Songkhram.
- Visit a traditional Thai house, help your host make Thai lunch and enjoy it with them.
- See how a villager make handicrafts from palm leaf. These will be little gifts that you can take home.
We meet at the lobby of Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn at 6.45am. A one and a half hour van ride takes us to Samut Songkhram. Out first stop is Maeklong Market where we taste typical Thai breakfast from street vendors, do grocery shopping, and see a train passing through the market. Then we leave for the coconut farm to see the process of coconut sugar making. A 15-minute row boat ride takes us to a villager's home, a beautiful traditional Thai house on a canal. Here, you help your host cook Thai dishes and desserts for lunch, and see how your host makes handicrafts from palm leaf. After lunching with your host, the van takes you back to Surasak BTS station. You will arrive at the station about 1.30pm. From here, take the BTS train back to the city center or to your hotel.
Price3,500 THB for adult
- Experienced and friendly licensed local tour guide
- VIP van transportation and your personal driver
- All activity fees as mentioned in the program
- Breakfast and lunch, snacks, drinks
- Basic accident insurance
What's not included?
- Hotel pick up and drop off
Meet : Lobby of Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn
End : Surasak BTS station